Sunday, July 24, 2011

Seeking West Virginia Indian Information

My name is Isaac Emrick. I am a Lecturer and PhD candidate in West Virginia University's History department. I have been studying Indian History in West Virginia for over 10 years now. I recently learned about the potenial uses of blogs for the collection of oral histories. West Virginia for too long has remained devoid of animated discussion of Native American History. I know from detailed research that native people have always lived in WV, in spite of 150 years of historical literature stating that it was merely a hunting ground.

My hope, through this blog is to begin collecting information about Indians in West Virginia. I am especially interested in oral history accounts, photos and genealogical information concerning Native life in the state. Sorting out the confusing movements of thousands of different native groups in the Appalachians is a major aim of this blog. This, I hope, is the beginning of a major movement in West Virginia history. I am anxious to get serious discussions started.

If you have any information, comments,or ideas please post them or email met at barayamal@gmail.com or iemrick@mix.wvu.edu.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment